Monday, May 26, 2008

Building Self-Confidence as a Virtual Assistant

I just wrote an article about the one thing you need to be a successful Virtual Assistant. Like most articles I write about virtual assisting, this one is based on my personal experience.

When I started out as a VA in 2004, I didn't have most of the experience or skills that new VAs supposedly need. What I did have, though, was a whole lot of determination to make this work. Thus, the article's conclusion.

One of the things most people will say a new VA needs is self-confidence. And I think that's true. In fact, to be a successful entrepreneur in ANY field, you need a whackload of self-confidence. The trouble is, though, when you're just starting out as a VA, self-confidence may be in short supply.

Self-confidence is built on past successes, and when you're new, you're not going to have a lot of those. In fact, many new VAs have left corporate positions where they weren't appreciated or fulfilled, and perhaps they can't look to that experience to bolster their self-confidence.

Well, that's what I was like when I began my virtual assisting career four years ago. I had been miserable in my corporate job. The person I reported to was a bully, and any opportunities to develop my skills and talents were closed. I realized the only way I could get what I wanted out of my career and my life was to take control and start my own business.

I had determination, but pathetically low self-confidence. In fact, I felt so beaten down, when my first VA client thanked me for doing a good job, I actually cried. (Thank goodness he thanked me in an email, otherwise that could have been really embarrassing!) I couldn't remember the last time anyone had said anything positive about my work, and his comment overwhelmed me. It also was an important first step to gaining self-confidence.

Over time, there were three things that helped me build self-confidence as a VA.

  1. Small successes, like my first client telling me he was happy with my work.
  2. Learning from other VAs. I joined the Virtual Assistant Networking Association. I didn't have a lot to contribute, but I was eager to learn. Like a sponge, I soaked up all the knowledge the other members had to share. For me, spending time at VANA was a large and significant part of learning how to be a VA, and with that knowledge came self-confidence.
  3. Going through the Virtual Business Startup System. I didn't have a lot of money to invest in VA training, and I prefer to learn independently anyways. The Virtual Business Startup System took me through all the steps of setting up a VA biz from start to finish. When I was done, I had a professional looking website, killer business plan, and was able to confidently market my new business. I felt confident because I knew I looked like the professional I was.
Your Write Assistant

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice post. I can relate to your experience but unlike you, working as a VA 3 years ago was my very first job and believe me i didn't even know how email works. I managed to learn everything by scratch. With the help of the internet and research I have gained the knowledge and confidence to carry out the tasks my clients give me. More power to your business!!

 
Header by Designed by Lara